Pages

Monday, August 20, 2012

Week "5"

So far, so good. I am officially one week past a missed period. I have stopped drinking my regular one alcoholic bev a day and am anxiously awaiting some fun signs of a healthy pregnancy. No "morning sickness" yet, and I know I will eat these words soon, but I am ready to get some cuz it's supposed to mean your hormones are doing their thing and creating the parts deep inside to allow the big bunch of baby cells to grow and thrive.
Now I am on the lookout for a good Midwife or OBGYN who will be willing to let me try a VBAC when (if) the time comes. Nova was born (c-section) in Denver under the Kaiser medical system. This time around we have a UCSF-based medical group as our primary family care (under coverage of Aetna Insurance). I am taking any and all advice from San Francisco Bay Area women on recommended prenatal care. Comment here please. Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. Hey! I see this post come up a lot on my listservs - VBAC's @ UCSF.. Here is what I've found:

    Lots of rave reviews for Suzanne Seger and Judith Bishop. Mixed reviews on Sharon Wiener, based on personality. But obviously I have no personal experience with any of these fine women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://blog.sfgate.com/sfmoms/2009/04/22/vbacs-breaking-the-repeat-cesarean-cycle/

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Cherlyn! I actually have an apt tomorrow with Judith Bishop! My last one was with her colleague, another woman who was super nice and said this... "You had a c-section last time?" I said, yes, but wanted to try a VBAC. She said, "don't worry, here at UCSF, if we can't do a VBAC, it can't possibly be done!" Meaning, they try with all their might to help you with a V Birth. So excited to meet Judith Bishop. Her bio is amazing. Tons of awards and highly recognized within the gay medical community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny, I'm a huge supporter of the Bradley Method program of natural childbirth. They're super-dedicated to VBAC and will prepare you and Brett well. Don't be put off by the "husband coached" thing. It's all about you and your partner taking charge of your birth.
    FAQ here: http://www.bradleybirth.com/Why12.aspx and look for classes here: http://www.bradleybirth.com/Directory.aspx
    Check it out. Hugs to the 4 of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much! I will look into it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had my VBAC at UCSF and was under the care of Judith Bishop. Highly, highly recommended! I did a ton of research on providers (I'm actually on the Peninsula) and in the end decided to travel to UCSF. I felt they were very naturally-minded and evidence-based.

    ReplyDelete