Pages

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Full Term Time!

Hi Readers,
A few days ago I reached "full term" pregnancy, meaning that at 37 weeks (out of the average 40), my baby is all the way developed and should be able to live comfortably outside the womb. So any day now we can expect her to make an appearance! According to the OB we saw last week, this baby is pretty small but "just the right size for my body" and her head is down and in a good position to be born. No other signs of labor though. They won't do a pelvic exam until maybe next week as those kinds of invasive procedures can unnaturally induce labor. But I am curious if my cervix is effacing. Last time I had a baby, I was effaced 80% two weeks prior to labor and my mucus plug fell out that early too (TMI, you say? Sorry, that sounds pretty gross, but it's all part of the game!) This time around, still no bloody show yet and I am two weeks from 40. So maybe I won't have these signs until right when everything goes down.

We wait....

Another thing - I did get a Group B Strep test last week and it came out positive. Here is a note from the OB:

Dear Jennifer,
Your Group B Strep (GBS) culture came back positive; you are a carrier for GBS at this time. This means that when you go into active labor, or after your water breaks, you will need antibiotics. I've included more information below. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Sincerely,
Robyn A Lamar


As long as I get those antibiotics, there is little risk that our baby will be infected. So no cause for alarm. I have read though, that one shouldn't wait too long to go to the hospital once labor has started. So maybe I won't dally at home where we planned to ride out much of the process. Cherlyn, my doula, should know this asap. I will tell her tonight.

Two days from now I go in for get an anti-stress test. That's something to do with blood pressure or something. They monitor the baby's heart for a while and do an ultrsound. I don't know if I need this. But I like ultrasounds! So I opted to get it done.

K. That's it for now. Like I said.... We wait....

No comments:

Post a Comment